October 08, 2011

Off to the Windy City!! - Part 3

So our final day had finally come and we weren't sure what else we wanted to do.

Of course, there was something that most of us girl wanted to do - shopping! I was speaking to a guy in one of my classes who advised me to go to Michigan Ave in Chicago...good advice indeed! Michigan Ave is one of the main streets where there are a lot of high-street clothing stores (well, something similar to high-street stores).

Of course the guys weren't as enthusiastic on the shopping idea and wanted to do some more exploring, as did another girl in the group. So they did their own thing and so did we, and they met up with us later in the day. I really enjoyed our day out shopping. To me it was the closest thing to shopping in Buchanan Street in Glasgow and that was something I really missed about home. Although it's cool to get clothes from foreign stores because when you get home, no-one else has the stuff you bought - I found it hard to find clothes shops in America that are similar to the places I shop in the UK. Especially as America does not have Topshop (except the exclusive, very expensive one in New York City). I feel like America has good quality clothes shops, but that the clothes they sell are expensive and very plain-looking. I think if I'm gonna buy something that looks plain then I'd rather buy it cheaply than expensively. If I want a very decent pair of jeans, a good jacket or a dress then I'm willing to splash out a bit more. I found it hard to find cheap trendy stores in the US.

This was before I went to Chicago. It was in Chicago I discovered Forever 21. Although I liked it for its trendy clothes at a cheap price, the clothes were consequently just that - cheap. Cheap clothes are never long-wearing and the stuff I bought from there certainly wasn't, however, it was handy for when I wanted a change in my wardrobe. I don't think I actually bought very much but it was good to have a girly day out and try on clothes. I did buy a dress from a place called A'Gaci (I think that's what its called) but again, the clothes were very cheap and the dress ended up getting a hole in it. I must of put on weight which probably didn't help either!

Guy playing the Simpsons tune outside the Greyhound Station!
Michigan Ave also holds the best Victoria's Secret I have ever visited. Victoria's Secret is a chain and me and my roommates went there when we went to Kansas City. However, this one was like no Victoria's Secret I've visited before...

First thing we were told as soon as we arrived in the shop is that the store had a computer which could measure your bra size by scanning your body. Of course, we all wanted to try it out! Most of the girls I was with wanted to try on bra sets too, so we looked around and waited to try out the scanner. So we waited...and waited. Then about an hour later of waiting in line, we eventually got measured! I was told my size and what style of bras to go for...turns out my boobs are 'too far apart' so I should buy bras to bring them in and lift them up. That's a complex I didn't have before going to Chicago.

All in all, it had been a fun day. However, it was also leaving day, so afterwards, we met up with the others and headed for the Greyhound station...for the long journey home. Back to Kansas we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment