August 09, 2010

Making the financial arrangements...

When I told people about me studying abroad, a question I was often asked was how I managed to afford it. It's understandable to be curious about this and I'm surprised at how I managed to afford it myself, coming from a poorer (but not impoverished) area of Glasgow.

My parents split up when I was younger and I receive no financial support from my father. Living with a single parent with low income, I was entitled to a bursary from the age of sixteen for continuing my education at school.

Although I would spend the £30 a week now and again, I saved my money as much as I could and opened up a savings account. Then, when I got my first part-time job at  17, I saved some more. I decided that I would save as much money as possible and put it towards something useful when I was older.

Also, if you are a Scottish student who studies at a Scottish university, then the (Scottish) government will pay for your education. I was also entitled to a Young Student's Bursary as I couldn't afford all the expenses and my parents can't afford to pay for my education. So I was able save some of this money also.

I also worked a part-time job, working as much overtime as I could in the holidays before the recession hit. The summer before I left, my overtime hours were limited. I had to make compromises to save as much as possible, which meant going out with my friends less.

Working part-time and saving up money from my bursary meant that I had saved over £2000 over four years. Although to study in the exchange - I had to pay my university £6000. Luckily I was able to make payments in several installments which gave me more time to make more money and I was still able to receive a bursary whilst on exchange. Also, because I was on an exchange programme, I had to pay my usual tuition fees back to Stirling and this was done by the government. To cover other charges, I took out a student loan and ensured I could have an overdraft in my bank account.

It also helped that I had amazing support from my family and friends, who gave me money before I left. I had to work hard and make compromises. Also, my university gave us time to pay them back for the interest-free loan they had given us so I was very lucky in that respect and I was lucky to be able to continue receiving a bursary whilst on exchange. Although I have taken a loan which I will now have to pay back, I believe that being in debt for an experience like this was worth it! 

(Also, I have to have a full-time job before I need to pay it back!)

To find out how I got a Visa and my trip to London, become a follower and check out the blog next week!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I didn't have to wait a week for the next installment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. reyhannnnnnnnnn

    ReplyDelete