August 02, 2010

How did I get here?

As I lay outside my apartment soaking up the hot California sun by the pool, I think to myself...ah, paradise. I can't believe I'm here...and to think that if I hadn't decided to go to university, then I wouldn't be here! Maybe it was for the best that I didn't pursue a career in performing instead.

Stirling Castle

My university in Scotland offers students the opportunity to study abroad for a year or semester. It was something I had always planned to do, but when I was clearing out my room one day, I found a booklet about it and decided to find out more about it. Luckily, I hadn't missed the information session held by the Study Abroad Office.

I remember sitting in a large lecture theatre, where a vast amount of other second-year students were also sitting. Older students, who had studied abroad the year before, told us about their experiences and that they all had an amazing time. Some of them mentioned that in America there are more opportunities to take film production courses as film is taken more seriously as an academic area of study. This immediately gained my interest as this was the reason I had chosen to study at the University of Stirling. 

The previous exchange students also mentioned that it there were only limited spaces available and that it had been expensive - but worth it. I remember thinking I have no chance. I only worked part-time in Homebase, a DIY store and had competition with hundreds of other students also.

Even so, I thought it's better filling out an application form with a chance of being considered for an interview, than doing nothing at all. And I was right. I got an interview, only to find out weeks later that I had been accepted and was given a place at the University of California! 

It goes to show that you are best trying to achieve something and being rejected than not trying at all. You really never know, you might be lucky!

To find out how I managed to arrange my finances to go abroad, become a follower and check out the blog next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment