August 16, 2010

Rule Britannia! Britannia Rule the Waves...

Before I could even go to the States I had to get a visa. But did you know that you can't get a visa in Scotland? Nope, you either have to go to London or Belfast...so I decided to make a weekend of it and go to London!



It took me a full day before I eventually got the visa...but it was worth the wait! I spent the whole day being nervous that I would be rejected for some reason, that I would miss the interview or mess it up. But I didn't - woo!

I remember I had to wait in three lines before I could even get inside the American Embassy building. There was one outside, then one for the security checkpoint and then one to actually get in the building...quite tight about their security you see. I waited an hour before Stage 1 which involved me getting my fingerprints taken. This was fine except I walked to the wrong window and then had to go to the right one. It was pretty obvious and pretty embarrasing as I clacked away in my heels. It didn't help that everyone was all tense and quiet, waiting for their own numbers to be called.

Then there was Stage 2...the actual interview. I  was so nervous. I brought a magazine with me so I could distract myself but I was worried that I might miss my number being called, so I barely read it. There were hundreds of faces in the room - people from all different kinds of backgrounds and different ages. I was surprised to see entire families there, waiting around for hours...

I spoke to a couple of people while I was there. It was fascinating to hear their stories, why they were moving and what they did for a living. There was a young woman around 27 who was moving to New York City to become an actress, she had already lived there for a while and was back to renew her visa. Then there was a young guy around 18 who was moving to Rhode Island to become an undergraduate at universtiy there and study zoology. I felt like this was the beginning - when I get to America I will meet people like these, people with different interests from different places.

After about four hours my number finally was called. The interview was fine! The guy was really friendly and asked me all the questions I had been expecting, but it was almost conversational. I think I was lucky to get a really nice guy for the interview. He told me there and then that I had been accepted. My stomach leapt when he told me...the moment had came and finally it was all real. I really was moving to America!

How was your visa experience?? Want to find out more about the visa process? Leave a comment and share your story with us or as a question, I'd be happy to give tips!

Check out the blog next Monday and/or become a follower to find out how I spent my last week in Scotland, before I moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment