September 10, 2010

Jayhawker Towers! Getting Settled...

It was our first weekend, we had moved into Jayhawker Towers and started getting settled...

On  Saturday an event had been organised where families were donating old furniture and homely items to us international kids. We tried to get there as early as possible. My roommate emphasised that we grab one essential item - a television set. 

It was really funny when I look back - she had us all organised and divised a plan for us to go for separate types of stuff. It was pretty effective because it meant we didn't duplicate items. 

Some amazing people donated couches which was great as it would save us buying them. Of course, this made them a popular choice and they weren't light enough to just grab and run with like everything else. So for these, we had to put down our name and then they would be drawn from a hat. All of us put down our name and hoped for the best. Luckily, my name got called out for one of them! (Although it was part of a weird corner sofa)...My flatmate got another one! Hers was a pretty half-decent 3-seater...

We came back with a couch, an armchair (kinda), tv set, a table to put it on, some glasses and some other stuff.

Also that morning while this was going on, families were taking some of the students for a tour of Lawrence. I didn't bother going because Cheryl had already shown me around, although I think a couple of my roommates went.

I can't remember what else happened that day - although we ordered our first Indian that night. It was nice but not as good as it is in the UK.

I think the day seemed to go slowly and drag because we went to our very first frat party the night before! To find out how it went check out the blog on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment